Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Saif and Amrita - Still Married 1991-2004


















Saif Ali Khan breaks his silence!

Saif Ali Khan wants to act. He wants to make a name as an artist and a star with mass appeal. He's already made enough money this year from endorsements and shows abroad that he can afford not to do a movie for the sake of money. His recent success with Hum Hum Saath Saath has given him the springboard from which he may once again make it to the top. His new film Kya Kehna, co-starring the adept Chandrachur Singh and the genial Preity Zinta, promises to entertain as well as educate. Armed with the love of his wife Amrita, his daughter Sara and highborn manners, Saif is determined to become a striver in the industry for the second time. Will he succeed?

How's life after Hum Saath Saath Hain?

Most interesting. Not much change in any direction, except perhaps mentally I'm more confident and have a focussed approach. Initially, I had a sense of humour in school that I carried onto films. But that's not enough any more, so I had to revamp myself completely in order to play a character on film that has mass appeal. The success of Hum Saath Saath Hain made me confident that I could play a 'lead romantic role' in this country. I was very happy when Sooraj Barjatya cast me; he pretty much has the industry at his disposal in terms of actors.

Originally titled Friends, your new movie Kya Kehna is about to be released. What is it about?

They shied away from English titles after the disaster of Jeans. Kya Kehna deals with the issue of pre-marital pregnancy. A young girl named Priya (Preity Zinta), who has strong values and correct behaviour, falls for this well spoken, intelligent loner. He has trouble with his mother; he doesn't respect his parents, their marriage and also the institution of marriage. She wants to go out with him, but he feels that it's not right for her to enter a relationship that has no possibility of ending in marriage. She pursues it even further, until he eventually sleeps with her. The trouble arises as she gets pregnant. She wants to marry him, but he flatly refuses. The film deals with what happens when she decides to have the baby on her own.
It was a commercial script being directed by a non-commercial director, I found it interesting. Kya Yehi Pyar Hai, I think, is a terrible title. The films should have been called Friends, as it was initially. But I think the reaction to Jeans has scared everyone. Now they must be saying, "Forget it, man. Let's stick to something safe and Hindi." When I heard about Chandrachur's exit and then his re-entry into the film, it made me think. I wasn't really insecure but I was relieved that it wasn't my neck on the chopping block.

How is Kundan Shah to work with?

Great! I don't know how much fun he is having because he seems very tense. Kundan Shah is a very intelligent person. He knows a lot about cinema and is so good at shaping characters on screen. My role could be loosely defined as a negative role, so I played it the obvious way. Which was wrong. Kundan came to me and said, "try saying it politely, you're a nice guy, it will carry more weight." By the time he was done, Kundan had carved out a three-dimensional character. I looked more real, like a regular guy who isn't perfect, but he's honest about it. He will invent a new formula for every scene and shies away from cliché³® It's taken quite some time to finish, which audiences tend to sniff. It's the kind of movie where if women really like it, it could catch on.

Whatever happened to Loveria?

The shoot has been completed and dubbed. The problem is that there is no money to publicise the film, and now it's too old for anyone else to be interested in publicising it. A four-year-old movie like Loveria will probably never be released.

What other offers have you got? What are your plans for the future?

I've signed two movies and I'm thinking of signing a third film with Arjun Sublok. Before Hum Saath Saath Hain, I thought I needed to do a certain number of films every year in order to be in circulation. I don't believe that any more. I'm not in a hurry to sign on any films because they take time. I would like to make sure that the film is quality stuff before I agree to spend a year of my life working on it. You wouldn't mind it if you are 21-25, but I'm 28.

You have been going through a bad phase. How did you cope with it?

I have stopped playing the game of triple shifts. I'll do four films a year and spend the rest of my time getting to know my family, my daughter. Make friends with her, travel around the world, go fishing somewhere, live life a little. Nobody realises it, but if you are not careful, you end up becoming a commodity and start shuttling from one studio to the next, and that's it. Blink and your life's over. There's no one even to ask you the time of the day. So I've decided to work on my terms. These are the best years of my life and I am not going to fritter them away. I have to thank my parents for my upbringing because of which I can still talk with a certain amount of confidence, despite all the flops I have given.

When you're not busy working, what else occupies your time?

Well, I work out. Looking good is not so easy at my age. I want to be in a better physical shape. I have been working hard towards it. Changing your mindset is not easy. I'm not a sadhu. I like to stay up late. Sleeping early, exercise and a healthy diet is not really for me, but my career comes with a price - the cost of looking good.

How would you describe yourself as a parent?

I may have been a little wild at one time, but I've changed. Having Sara has changed me quite a bit. After I've shot all night, I'm chilling out in bed or watching TV late in the afternoon, Amrita beside me, when Sara walks in and tells me to walk down and play with her. I groan, "No, you come in." And then in a flash, I remember myself as a child mouthing the same lines, and instantly I jump up and run out with her. I don't want things to be the same. Sara's about 50 percent like me. The rest, she's like Amrita.

How has your marriage to Amrita changed you?

Anyone who meets my wife alone would probably never associate her with someone like me. She's not me at all. But living together, we have influenced each other's way of speaking and thinking and being. Sara has strengthened my faith in our relationship. She is the visual proof that it's ok to blend. Personally, I'm very happy today. And professionally, I'm willing to take one step at a time.

Do you have a message?

For the people who have watched my movies and liked them, I would like to thank them for their support and encouragement. I think in India particularly, being in the entertainment industry is not only a job but also a responsibility to work hard to try and entertain people. I promise not to do films for money or to just to stay busy, but to either to create art or something people enjoy watching.

Secret Marriages
27 Feb, 2008 04:13 am


It’s shocking to the point of being seemingly unbelievable, but it’s true.

Noted astro numerologist Bhavikk Sangghvi analyses that all the ‘secret marriages’ in Bollywood have had the No.4 and 8 in common i.e. be it the person’s date of birth, their marriage dates, vibrations of his / her name etc.

People or dates ruled by Uranus / Rahu ( No.4 ) are moody and unpredictable. They like to try out new adventures in their lives and eloping or getting married secretly is ‘their’ idea of showcasing their unconventional attitude towards life ( so what if it’s a bad decision or even the whole marriage is a farce ).

Whereas people or dates ruled by Saturn / Shani ( No.8 ) go through their share of major ups and downs in life and the struggle part ( either professionally or personally ) just never seems to end.

Take a look at famous Bollywood couples who have fallen victim to the SMS ( Secret Marriage Syndrome ) :-

1) Shammi Kapoor had a quiet temple affair at Banganga with Geeta Bali in 1955. The former ( born on 21st Oct. 1931 ) is a Libran partly ruled by No.8.

2) Kishore Kumar secretly married Madhubala in 1960. Kishoreda was a No.4 person in numerology born on 4th Aug. 1929 whereas Madhubala ( 14th Feb. 1933 ) was an Aquarian ( all Aquarians are commonly ruled by No.8 ).

3) In 1980, Dilip Kumar ( 11th Dec. 1922 ) secretly married Asma. Dilip Kumar is indirectly ruled by No.4 since his destiny number adds up to No.1 ( 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 9 + 2 + 2 = 19 = 1 + 9 = 10 = 1 + 0 = 1 ). ( Nos.1 and 4 always go hand in hand ).

4) Sanjay Khan ( 3rd Jan. 1941 ) secretly married Zeenat Aman in the same year (1980) Sanjay too is indirectly ruled by No.4 since his destiny number also add up to No.1 ( 3 + 1 + 1 + 9 + 4 + 1 = 19 = 1 + 9 = 10 = 1 + 0 = 1 ). On the other hand, Zeenat is doubly ruled by No.1 ( and hence No.4 ) since her fate and destiny number both add up to No.1. ( 19th Nov. 1951 i.e. 1 + 9 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 9 + 5 + 1 = 28 = 2 + 8 = 1 + 0 = 1 ).

5) Not to be left behind, Hema Malini also secretly married Dharmendra in 1980. The latter is a No.8 ( 8th Dec. 1935 ) person in numerology while the former is partly ruled by No.8 being a Libran ( 16th Oct. 1948 ).

6) Raj Babber ( 23rd June 1952 ) secretly married Smita Patil ( 17th Oct. 1955 ) in 1985. While the latter was both ways ruled by Saturn ( No.8 ) being born on the 17th and also a Libran partly ruled by No.8 ), Raj is indirectly ruled by No.4 since his destiny number adds up to No.1 ( 2 + 3 + 6 + 1 + 9 + 5 + 2 = 28 = 2 + 8 = 10 = 1 + 0 = 1 ). ( 1 – 4 factor )

7) Jayaprada went through a secret wedding ceremony with the much married producer Srikant Nahta at a hotel in Mumbai on 22nd June, 1986. This day was primarily ruled by No.4 ( 2 + 2 = 4 ). Also her date of birth adds up to No.8 ( 3rd Apr. 1954 = 3 + 4 + 1 + 9 + 5 + 4 = 26 = 2 + 6 = 8 ).

8) Padmini Kolhapure went through a 1 am ceremony with producer Pradeep Sharma on 13th Aug. 1986. This day too belonged to Rahu ( 1 + 3 = 4 ).

9) In 1986, even the perfectionist Aamir Khan could not resist the SMS temptation. In this case, the actor’s name adds up to No.22 ( 2 + 2 = 4 ).

10) Our very own ‘Chi-Chi’ secretly married Sunita, sister of his maternal aunt at their kuluguru’s math in 1987. Govinda is a cusp born between the two sun signs – Sagittarius and Capricorn ( 21st Dec. 1963 ). All Capricorns are commonly ruled by No.8.

11) The versatile Kamal Haasan secretly married actress Sarika in 1988. Once again, Kamal’s destiny number adds up to No.1 ( 7th Nov. 1954 = 7 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 9 + 5 + 4 = 28 = 2 + 8 = 10 = 1 + 0 = 1 ) making him indirectly ruled by No.4 ( 1 – 4 factor )

12) A struggling actor then, Saif Ali Khan & Amrita Singh’s secret marriage was solemnised by a ‘maulvi’ in 1991. While Amrita is an Aquarian ruled by No.8 ( 9th Feb. 1958 ), Saif is a Leo ( 16th Aug. 1970 ) ruled by No.1 and hence indirectly ruled by No.4. ( 1 – 4 factor )

13) Sridevi too, married Boney Kapoor in a clandestine way before he could legally desert his first wife. Sri is directly ruled by No.4 ( 13th Aug. 1959 ) and also indirectly, being a Leo ruled by No.1. ( 1 – 4 factor )

14 ) Last but not the least, Sanjay Dutt in his 49th year ( 4 + 9 = 13 = 1 + 3 = 4 ) secretly married his girlfriend of two years, Manyata last week. Sanju is also a Leo ( 29th July, 1959 ) indirectly ruled by No.4. ( 1 – 4 factor ).

At this rate, the ‘secret marriage syndrome’ ( SMS ) is here to stay !

No comments: